Yesterday I tried printing with raft and supports (because of printing difficulties without).
|somehow reminds me of the World Series trophy|
|removing supports with my handy dandy leatherman tool|
|printed with supports, mostly removed, but lost integrity of the plot in the process|
While doing whatever it is I do when not at work, an idea came to me -- rotate the figure 90 degrees in the y-z plane. The problem had been my horizontal spans had been too long, but by rotating I'd change those horizontals to verticals. Verticals don't typically have as much issue printing.
So that's what I tried this morning. Using the exact same .stl file, I used MakerWare to rotate, and printed with rafts but without supports. Success!
|small raft under each loop|
|printing complete. I like the wisp of PLA trailing back to the print head.|
|before removing the rafts|
|after removing the rafts. hand modeling courtesy of Eloise.|
*** change history ***
4/19/2014 added link to .thing file
4/16/2014 corrected spelling