Friday, September 6, 2013

Starting a Turnaround

DeWitt Clinton HIgh School has to improve if it is to survive. Both city and state have consistently given us poor ratings in  recent years. Last spring, due to a precipitous drop in enrollment numbers, budget was slashed and massive numbers of staff were excessed (that's DOE terminology for a layoff). Math department staff was decreased by 1/3.

Although the administrative staff have been working on this for a bit longer, as a classroom teacher, I've only seen my first two days of the attempted turnaround. There appear to be two major factors driving this. First is a new principal. Second is assistance from some consultants.

Our longtime principal, Geraldine Ambrosio, retired, and her expected replacement is Santiago Taveras. I say expected although Santi, as he likes to be called, is already in place and working. But his official title at this point is something like "acting interim principal" while he waits for official appointment to the position. I would describe what I've seen of his style as more actively engaged in the operation of the school (a good thing) and very organized (another good thing).

The second factor is the consulting firm. We met Brad Darling, who works for Pearson (the publishing company). But his division has nothing to do with publishing, and instead helps schools become more effective.  He's worked with a number of large, comprehensive, urban high schools, and so he's got experience with the type of issues and strengths such schools have. Over my time as teacher, I've seen a large number of consultants come in, and some of them disappeared before I could even remember their names. But Brad shows no signs of disappearing.  He's even given us a schedule that goes all the way through June 2014 of what meetings are happening when. I'm strongly encouraged.

So, we still have a long ways to go before we can determine whether or not there was a turnaround, but I think we have some key elements in place, and I'm optimistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment