Saturday, October 12, 2013

Reading and Mathematics

I openly admit that I love reading, both fiction and non-fiction. Many people think that, as a mathematics teacher, I must despise language arts. Perhaps this is due to their own insecurities regarding math and sciences, but it is far from the case with me.

One of my favorite writers is Mark Twain. It occurred to me that he has some sage advice for math students in his essay "Fenimore Cooper's Literary Offenses." In particular, among the rules of "art" which he accuses Cooper of breaking are the following:
" ... the author shall:

12. Say what he is proposing to say, not merely come near it.
13. Use the right word, not its second cousin.
14. Eschew surplusage.
15. Not omit necessary details.
16. Avoid slovenliness of form.
17. Use good grammar.
18. Employ a simple and straightforward style ... "

I think these seven rules also apply to the execution of mathematics.

If you care to read the entire essay, you can find one online source here.

1 comment:

  1. I love connections between math and literature! I am a huge fan of both and don't think one has to eschew one to appreciate the other. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete