Saturday, October 12, 2013

Assignment from ExploringTheMathTwitterBlogosphere #1

A class I was in a few evenings ago mentioned the MTBos (Math Twitter Blogosphere), and I decided to try to participate in this project. I'm in my tenth year of teaching, having done a number of other things prior. Currently the greatest portion of my limited recreational time is spent trying to learn salsa dancing. Living in New York, I'm learning New York, or On 2, style.

The thing that makes my math class unique in my school, a large, comprehensive urban high school, is that I regularly incorporate technology in my lessons, not as an afterthought, or a rare, special activity, but as an integral part of the whole. I think my lessons exemplify the Common Core Math Practice #5 of using appropriate tools judiciously.

1 comment:

  1. I, too, was in a different career before teaching - for over 10 years, actually. And I have always loved technology. But during my first 5 years of teaching, I struggled to find ways to integrate technology in a way that convinced me kids were interacting with both technology and math and embracing both. As opposed to me being solely entertained at the front of the room. But now there's not really a "front" of my room. It's Year 6 for me, and I feel like it's finally "go time." I'm having more fun than I've ever had teaching.

    I look forward to reading lots more about your experiences and successes!

    ReplyDelete