Saturday, November 9, 2013

Explore MTBoS Mission 5

The assignment for week 5 was, essentially, to participate in a twitter chat (about a math topic) and blog impressions. Perhaps I misunderstood something somewhere, but I have been unable to do this seemingly simple task.

I chose the Calculus chat, which is supposed to be hashtagged #calcchat. It turns out that hashtag is mostly associated with a twitter handle @calcchat. The profile for @calcchat seems to indicate that it is associated with Larson textbooks.

According to the assignment, calc chat happens on Fridays, but it isn't clear when. 1:30 AM EDT? Is that a typo? Well, it's Saturday now anyway, so it wouldn't be live. So the instructions say further that the chats are archived on the math chat wiki. But the calc chat isn't.  There's a placeholder with no content.

The next suggestion is to follow the chat moderator.  In this case that's @ajitmishra71. He is indeed a math educator, but doesn't seem to have any posts related to a calculus chat.

So, there you have it. My attempt to participate in this week's activity have pretty much failed.
*sigh*

2 comments:

  1. I just got through writing a comment, and my connection reset and I lost it all!

    I imagine that would have been really frustrating with #calcchat, and I don't think the 1:30AM is a typo, I seem to remember reading that it was 1:30AM somewhere else too (another guide to maths related twitter chats). If it helps, you're not the only one who ran into difficulties with certain chats this week, I've read another blog from someone who encountered similar with a different chat.

    For a fail safe chat, try #MSMathChat. They also "storify" it for people to read later if they missed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, Tegan (btw, LOVE your name). I had slightly better luck when I tried #precalcchat -- able to read the history from their last chat. it seems that few of the chats are actually being storified with any regularity. I teach HS, so wasn't gravitating towards the MS chat.
    I appreciate the suggestions.
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete