Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Don't Use Appropriate Tools Strategically

I have been using technology in my classroom since I began teaching. I don't do everything with technology, but, as appropriate, and when I believe it might enhance student understanding of topics, I use technology.

My most frequent choices are TI-Nspire Teacher Software, which has interactive geometry, and also displays multiple representations of mathematics, and TI SmartView CE, which allows me to demonstrate on a calculator similar to the TI-83+ that students have access to. I have this software installed on my laptop, and I have seldom been assigned a room with SmartView installed on the classroom computer, much less TI Nspire. But that shouldn't be a problem, because I can connect my computer to the SmartBoard projector, and I'm good to go.

Today, ten minutes before my 5th period class, I was informed that it is against school policy to connect non-school equipment to school projectors (and SmartBoards). So, all the interactive things I had intended to do are now forbidden. How about my document camera, I asked. Forbidden.

I have requested that the school install the software I need on computers in the three classrooms I teach in. I have not heard back, but doubt they will do it.

Right now, I'm stewing, trying to figure out how I can plan lessons going forward. I can do screenshots, and embed them in Smart Notebook (which is installed on the classroom computers). But I won't be able to do anything interactive, and I won't be able to respond to anything on the fly. This has me feeling extremely irritated and frustrated.

1 comment: