Friday, March 21, 2014

3D Printing Friday March 21

This would be much more convenient if I had a secure place to leave my printer. But I have to lock it in a cabinet, and I really only can work with it after school. So today I decided to stay late and try to print.

One issue last time was the thing didn't stick to the print plate. I've found this comes from two causes. To remedy one, I covered the print plate with blue painter tape. This will also help release the finished thing from the print plate, which has been a problem in the past.

I tried printing again, and as the MakerWare software was slicing my thing (the egg holder) I realized another problem. I have edges floating in space. Duh! Of course that won't print well. I need to design a frame around the thing, or else print with supports.

Once the print started, even before it got to the point of hanging objects, I could tell the print wasn't going well. The print still wasn't sticking to the plate. The way it was coming loose, I think, is associated with the plate being out of level. So I canceled the print job in order to level.

As easy as it is in theory to level the plate, it isn't a precise science. The instructions say "raise the plate until you feel just a little friction between the print head and the plate." There's a lot of room for interpretation in that instruction. So I decided to try something that I know I've had success with in the past, and keep trying until it came out good again. That was the five link chain that comes preloaded on the SD card with the printer. After three tries, it printed perfectly.

By this time, it was already 4:30, and I was tired. I wanted at least one nice thing, and didn't want to experiment with my own bad design again. I went to thingiverse and did a search under "hart" to see if I could find any George Hart designs. Sure enough, there are a few available. I selected an open dodecahedron sculpture, downloaded, and sent to the printer. It took almost an hour, but I did end the day with a lovely dodecahedron to show for my efforts (even if it wasn't my own design).

I'll work more on my egg holder this weekend, and, if I have time, try to print during the day Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment