Monday, March 10, 2014

Mathematica and Makerware and Replicator 2

Today was the first Math for America mini-course session on 3D Printing, led by George Hart of Stony Brook University. Mostly what I learned is how amazingly easy it is to use Mathematica as a design tool. Essentially, you plot whatever 3D function it is you're working on (RegionPlot3D), and export that plot to an .stl file. Done.

Currently, the biggest issue is that I'm using a trial version of Mathematica, which doesn't allow export. But my new laptop is supposed to arrive in a few days, and I'll install the full version of Mathematica on that. Then I'll be good to go.

My homework: design and print a knob for a rotary light dimmer switch, and design and print a carton for (an unspecified number of) eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment